Sunday, November 29, 2015

Vocational Goals

One of my vocational goals for during my time at the American University of Sharjah is to become more knowledgeable about the Arabic language. I have taken Arabic courses before, but I am not at the level where I would need to be to help in future endeavors I may have in my career after college. I should certainly be able to learn more Arabic at AUS. Also, Sharjah will be a great place for me to be. It is less Westernized than Dubai, so I will be more likely to use Arabic while I am out in public in Sharjah than I would in Dubai.

Another vocational goal I have is to gain a better insight into the religious, political, and historical dynamics of the Middle East. The courses I have signed up for at this time would allow me to gain much more in depth knowledge about the region. I would like to take a History of the Middle East course, a Middle Eastern Geography course, an Islamic Philosophy course, and a War and Peace in the Middle East political science course.

Besides my course load, I can also look for other ways to get involved on campus and in the community. I am part of a group called the World Student Christian Federation, which has a presence in the United Arab Emirates. I can look to get involved there, and they would be a great resource in helping me find service opportunities. Furthermore, there are several different clubs and organizations at AUS in which I can participate, such as Model United Nations. Options such as this one would give me experience dialoguing and working together with peers who come from very different backgrounds than me. This experience would help me achieve vocational opportunities in the future if I were to enter the International Relations field.

No comments:

Post a Comment