Sunday, November 8, 2015

Intercultural Competency


In adjusting back to Greece, I think that it will be interesting to see if I transition similarly to how I did the first time I went there, or if returning will be a completely new experience. I think that already being familiar with the culture and having friends and community, I will have an easier time adjusting at the beginning. However, since this trip will be significantly longer, I do expect to experience more homesickness and perhaps a deeper level of culture shock as I continue to learn and immerse myself in the culture. How I plan to deal with the transition is to 1) Seek the help of those around me and 2) Allow myself to stay connected with home. First, I know that I am going to have friends and a support group already around me and they can encourage me and help me adjust back into the culture. They will also push me to step outside my comfort zone and seek out new friends and relationships that can further help me transition and feel comfortable in the new environment. Second, I know that I may be tempted to stay in such close contact with home that I don’t really engage where I am, so I know it will have to be a balance. But I think it is good to allow myself to stay connected with people at home so that I don’t feel completely out of the loop, which will hopefully help with reverse culture shock as well. Overall I am excited to transition back to Greece, even though I know there will be new and unexpected challenges along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment