Sunday, November 8, 2015

Cultural Competency

Living in another country for about five months can be intimidating. Learning a new culture and language at the same time will be difficult and taxing on the mind. Constantly trying to think in another language that I am not fluent in will be tiring and frustrating at times for communication with local people. I will have to adjust to a new way of life in France and learn to juggle my emotions to keep a smile on my face. Transitioning to culture in France will be exciting, but I know that there will be some days where I just want to be in America and in my own culture. To ease this transition, I will have to practice some techniques that I have learned throughout my life to cope. Hopefully, if I become frustrated, homesick, insecure, withdrawn, or otherwise I will take a deep breath and remember that everything is going to be ok. Keeping an open mind to the new cultural differences and going with the flow will be important for me to stay positive and integrate into the new culture. I love French culture, so I do not think I will have problems assimilating. I am a very quiet person and I generally learn by observation. So, I like to try to stay aware of my surroundings and the actions of others when I am traveling so that I can learn what I should be doing or what is acceptable by the local people. Luckily for me, I know that people in France are generally accepting of foreigners who at least are trying to learn the culture and speak the language. Knowing that people will be understanding of my struggles gives me confidence to put myself out there and not be afraid to make mistakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment