Monday, November 9, 2015

Intercultural Competency

Moving new places always comes with challenges, adjusting to the culture being one of the largest challenges. While Germany and the US have a lot of similarities in the way people act and present themselves, I don't imagine it will be a piece of cake adjusting. 

One of the things I think I will be most uncomfortable with will be the language difference. I have been attempting to learn German and will probably know the very basic aspects of the language by the time I get there. Communication will be a difficult part to adjust to. Since my situation is different than most, I think adjusting to that new lifestyle will be difficult. Although I think that I would have a difficult time with that in the US as well, it will be even more in Germany because I won't have my friends from MC to lean on. I think to help with homesickness and the culture in general, I will try to make friends with other international students that are in the same situation as me. Being able to talk with them about the struggles and accomplishments of everyday life will ease any discomforts I may be having. 

Even though I have traveled before and know how I react to different places initially, I have never been in a completely new culture for an extended period of time, and I look forward to seeing how it helps me grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment