Friday, November 6, 2015

Intercultural Competency by Kelly

When I go to my home country, I expect to notice what I haven’t noticed so far, this can include any cultural differences that I haven’t experienced or what I haven’t  been aware of, differences and similarities of cultures, and uniqueness of Korean cultures. I think knowing Korean history, visiting Korean museums and old places, and meeting my grandparents would help be know more about Korea.

I think Koreans would say that I no longer have Korean blood in my body. Talking with strangers, asking how they have been, using body languages and gestures, paying with separated bills, sleeping over in friends’ house, paying big money for textbooks, drinking lots of soda, and having fast food at least 7 times a week is what most of Koreans don’t but what most of Americans do. Because I came to U.S. in young age, my perception and behaviors are a lot influenced by the time lived in U.S. I am bit afraid of Korean people’s perception of what I think is right and they think that I am different or even wrong.

The adjustment that I will face in Korean culture is gender issues. Gender issues in US and S. Korea is similar but different. Korea still has Confucian ideas that men are superior than women. And there are still jobs that require specific gender. Still the idea of men making money and working outside, and women support men and do the house work are what old people still think. Young generations like my ages start to change their thoughts and ideas about this. They now think men and women are equal that they both need to make money and both need to contribute house work. But still it is cultural difference that can’t be changed easily. Since we now have female president, I expect this issue to be changed socially and culturally.


Changes of the home environment are big changes in my life. I always lived with my family or relatives. But for next semester, I will live alone in one of the college dorm, make my own money if possible, do my laundry, and cook my own food. That would be one of the biggest change compared to how I live in here in Maryville and how I will live like in Seoul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment