Monday, November 9, 2015

Intercultural Competency

I tentatively say that while of course the culture of the United Kingdom can be very different from the culture of the United States, those differences are not nearly as large or severe as the differences between the U.S. and other countries.  The United Kingdom, from what I (someone who has never been there) understand, is fairly western in culture, just as the United States.  The language in England is the same, and many practices and traditions seem to be similar.

That said, there are of course many adjustments that I will have to make in transitioning to a new culture.  There will be time change to get used to, but (hopefully!) that will not take more than a few days to a week to get fully adjusted to.  Although I have yet to experience homesickness, staying in another country for an extended period of time may invoke it, and I will have to figure out a plan of communication for keeping in touch at home.  Though I do not want to get so involved in what's going on a home that I forget to experience what's around me!  Hopefully, orientation will introduce me to other international students as well as locals so I can have a supportive friend group when going through possible bouts of frustration and sadness.  Another thing I'll need to consider is change in weather.  Although it will not be as drastic as studying in say, Africa, it might be a little chillier in England!  I will need to bring appropriate clothes and research what weather is usually like in that time of year.  I am excited to be able to learn more minute differences in culture and possibly adopt some of them for my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment