Monday, November 9, 2015

Intercultural Competency

An aspect of studying abroad that I haven't really considered until now is how homesickness will shape my actions: how often I call home, how my diet will change, how my exercise regime will change (to be fair, it is non existent right now), and whether or not I will withdraw from people and/or activities available to me. The biggest thing I can think to do is be prepared to miss home and be shy about reaching out to people while also being prepared to immensely overcome those things. I will have to in order to make new friends and learn as much as possible. I can only expect the best of strongest efforts from myself.

I expect that I may spend a few nights in watching Netflix because I know myself and I know I need my time alone. However, I will watch that I spend a much more significant portion of my time getting to know people and the culture of Córdoba. Spanish language acquisition and culture are going to be my two main focuses while I'm there. To truly emphasize those focuses and maximize my experience from them, I plan on pushing myself out of my comfort zone when it comes to reaching out to people. I will make it a point, as I have said before, to make friends doing some of the things I like to do at home with friends: hiking, running, reading, doing everyday things. I want to make friends that I can keep my entire life and learn from continuously. I'm excited to see how the friends I will make will enrich my life.

When it comes to calling home, I think I will probably call my Mom and Dad each about two times a week at first (and more, depending on how much I have to say) and then once a week as the four months I will be there goes on. Social media will not matter to me during my time there except to keep long distance family updated on my life because I have a lot of family in Washington state (and my Dad has demanded that I teach him how to use Facebook and that I post pictures often haha).

The unexpected effects of studying abroad such as a change to my diet, sickness, and how I will be able to exercise are things I honestly have not spent too much time thinking through. I hope that I do not get sick while I'm there but I know that I have health insurance purchased for my time there for up to a month after school ends. I know I will be taken care of in that aspect. I expect the food to be delicious; I do not expect the portions to be as large as they are here. Frankly, I'm looking forward to that. Lord knows I overeat all the time, which is a horrible habit. I'm also hopeful for exercising that I will be able to find a running buddy and will have a place outdoors to run and a place indoors (probably on campus) to use light weights, do stretches, and use some machinery. I believe I will be more than able to maintain my health while I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment