Monday, October 19, 2015

American Life in Photos (Blogger repost)

American Life: Photo Perspective

Jacob Roberts


Regarding my life at Maryville College, despite many of my perennial complaints, I always have a feeling of overwhelming respect and appreciation for this institution that overrides my gripes.  I am the 17th member of my family to attend Maryville College, so perhaps I have some extra reverence for this place because of that.  I think it is difficult to argue that the campus is beautiful in appearance and venerable in its traditions- and the mature and admirable conduct of its faculty and staff that make this a nice place to come to school.



In thinking about my American life, something that stands out is the American obsession with guns, violence, and action.  I think this photo of Chuck Norris encapsulates those sentiments quite nicely.  Our country, not unlike many others, was founded by radical action by an armed and enraged group that took a decisive stand.  Our country seems to venerate the tradition of action and force of arms- for better or worse.


In identifying the distinguishing characteristics of the American life, the spirit of the American “Wild West” is as loud, proud, and prolific in our current country as it was in the 1800s.  The cutthroat, self-made lifestyle and freedom of the days of the Wild West sculpt our current political and cultural landscape in a big way.  See also: Rugged Individualism.


Speaking of rugged individuals: Teddy Roosevelt.  What I admire about this man and what I think makes him relevant as a descriptor of American society today is that I feel he embodied living freely and independently in the best possible ways.  He set about his life with exuberance and decision, but with thoughtfulness and prudence.  I think he struck a good balance for himself, a balance I hope dearly for in my country today.


It’s America’s game and it’s awesome and brings everyone together!


Americans have always been innovative and influential thinkers, creators, philosophers, and visionaries.  Even today as our country struggles with a culture of anti-intellectualism (perhaps a casualty of our veneration of the common man and rugged individualism), I still see a great wisdom in our people as a whole.


This photo of Armstrong on the moon really defines for me an American obsession with pushing the limits of the conventional and possible- and defines an essential part of the American spirit.


Since the inception of our country, we have debated amongst ourselves as Americans not only how important our freedom really is, but what our freedom really even means.  Lincoln’s vision of freedom for Americans won out through the Civil War- but the competing visions of freedom that caused that conflict are still entrenched in our country today.


We’re all insanely different in America- and I believe this is our greatest and most unique strength.



This campus and this country share a nobility and sincerity of ideals that I think is incredible, truly unique, and powerful in its own right.









No comments:

Post a Comment