Monday, October 5, 2015

An American in Germany

Going to another country for an extended period of time, regardless of how similar the culture is home, is difficult. While Germany may have some similar aspects, there are still a lot of differences. Since I have traveled before, I know that I can adapt and adjust to different cultures. Last class I learned that Germany and the USA are both Low-Context cultures. When taking the inventory, I discovered I am more on the low side than the high side. Which will be a strength while in Germany because that won't be nearly as much as a change.

From taking self-audits, surveys, inventories, and just knowing about myself, I know that I am very independent and open. It is easy for me to adjust to new people and places. Because I am independent and outgoing, I hope that I will be able to make friends easily. I have also recently discovered that I am comfortable traveling alone and can always find something to do. Being open is a major strength when traveling. Because I am open to new things, I wont be afraid to go out of my comfort zone to learn and try new things. 

I am interested to learn more about German culture as the semester goes on and then to be immersed in the culture. I really want to learn more about their language and hopefully be able to converse at least a basic level by the time I leave. Being an American abroad does create some challenges though. During my previous travels, I have heard things such as "Americans are dumb." I want to prove to people that not all stereotypes about Americans are correct, although some are. I hope to be able to share my culture with my friends while abroad while I learn more about theirs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment