Monday, October 19, 2015

Blog #4: Living Like a Local in the UK

One of the reasons I listed University of Chester as a school on my ISEP application was because of the diverse student life and the many opportunities that came with it.  I am very excited to get involved with the campus and community and hope to make lasting bonds while I'm there. I aim to meet people by joining some of the clubs and/or participating in campus events.

Living like a local is something that is very important to me when I go abroad because I love seeing different cultures and how they live everyday life. While living at my host institution, I plan to see the surrounding city of Chester and get to know it well enough so that I'd feel at home when I come back to visit.  This would include getting to know local bars, attractions, shops, and even just streets and navigation.  I hope that the new friends I make would show me all their favorite places in town, which would help immerse me in the city.  I imagine my day to day life will be relatively similar to how it is here, just in a different setting -- but I could be sorely mistaking about that!  There will be a an adjustment from living in a small school in a small town to living in a city, but I am excited about that!  The city of Chester is a medieval walled city in England, so I think the history and culture will be fascinating to me.
I think living like a local will help me understand the country better, and probably get a better appreciation for it.  I will make an effort not to be consumed by what is going on home, but rather to focus on where I am.  I tend to get distracted fairly easily, so this may be something that I need to work on.  Overall I am excited to experience a new place and will hopefully be able to call it a home away from home!

No comments:

Post a Comment