Sunday, October 18, 2015

Living Like a Local in Greece

In studying abroad in Greece, one of my most important goals is to involve myself in the culture and community. I will not be living on campus, so I am going to have to be more intentional about making connections in the school. There may be clubs and organization that I could be involved with, as well as just connecting with students who know the city and the culture. I am hoping that my day to day life will consist of exploring the city, the community, and perhaps even taking specific classes that will help me to become more familiar with the locals. There is so much to see and do in Athens, and I’m sure there will be no lack of opportunity for cultural experiences. I researched some of the events on campus, and the school seems to have a lot going on to involve students outside of classes, from diversity awareness to holiday celebrations, I think there will be a lot of ways to interact with other students while I am there.


I already know that Greeks have a very laid-back, go-with-the-flow type of culture, so I will have to be intentional about trying to fit into that culture by keeping an open mind, and an open schedule. I want to free myself up to being available for any opportunities that come up, and being willing to try new things, even at the last minute. My schedule here is usually fairly rigid and set, so it will be very new to me to live without as much structure. I think it will be especially hard because I like to have specific time dedicated to school, friends, etc. and I will have to be more flexible about when and how I do things. But I think it will all be worth it for the amazing experiences that I know I will have. Letting go of my familiar schedule and adapting to “Greek time” will most likely be one of the most effective ways to quickly integrate into the culture and “live like a local.”

No comments:

Post a Comment