Monday, October 19, 2015

An American Abroad (Blogger repost)

I believe my biggest challenges regarding traveling to and living in another country and culture will stem from my sharp distrust for strangers.  I carry a mentality that is a consequence of working with law enforcement in Tennessee, America’s state with the highest per capita violent crime.  I tend to be very closed off and terse with people I do not know well, and I believe I will need to overcome this habit if I am going to integrate well into the host culture.  I think the greatest tool I have at my disposal moving forward is the power of observation.  One can learn a lot by watching, listening, and sincerely paying attention to the mannerisms, words, and deeds of those around them.  I also need to be slow to judge anyone harshly.

As per what components of my identity I will take with me to the host country, I will bring the whole thing.  Some of my personal values that I would like to share with others are a feeling of humility, of loyal friendship, and of respect and esteem for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment