Monday, October 19, 2015

Local Living - Bangkok

For me, what I want most in to be as involved in my community as mush as I can, and that's what living a local life means. I know that my university will offer many opportunities to get involved, volunteer wise and also just with fun activities. I've also talked a bit with some non-profit organizations in the city already about volunteering for them once I arrive.

Being introverted, I'm a bit daunted by the idea of having to make new friends once I arrive at my host school, but then I remember I had a similar feeling before I arrived to Maryville and everything  worked out fine for me. I am not exactly sure how I will make local friends since the program I am doing is specifically for International students, but hopefully the school will have a program similar to our peer mentor program. If not, I'm sure friendships will develop naturally, too.

Day to day I imagine myself spending a lot of time exploring the city, trying new foods, and trying to be open to as many new experiences as I can. Another MC student who went to Thammasat under the same program as me said that the program of study allows for a lot of free time, which I plan to spend volunteering/networking in the international non-profit world, visiting various religious sites and communities, and travelling within and outside of Thailand,

No comments:

Post a Comment