Monday, October 5, 2015

Returning to a Familiar Culture


Readjusting my life in Korea would take time, there are many similarities between Korea and the United states but still there are many differences. My main concern is about different culture. Very easy example is saying “Hi” to someone I don’t know. Last winter, I was in Korea. I was doing grocery shopping with my old friend. I was deciding which vegetables to buy, and then I asked the lady who was also doing grocery shopping. I asked her that I was going to cook that night but I had no idea what to buy. She kindly explained from the seasonal food to her own recipes of cooking. When I finally put carrots and cucumbers in my cart my friend asked me if I know that lady. Of course, I answered that I don’t know her. My friend then said “You sure lived in the United States, no doubt”. It took time for me to understand what she meant but she meant that people don’t start conversation with unknown or strangers. Not only talking to strangers, but also like holding doors for next person, tips, and asking their conditions (how are you?), and privacy problems are cultural differences.

I want to learn history of Korea. I studied a lot about American history and European history but I have never got chances to learn about Korea history. Taking Korean history may help me too but also visiting historical places and museums would remain in my head longer. To my future Korean friends, I want to teach them slang. Most students in Korea start to lean English since third grade in elementary school. Most of Koreans would know grammar and vocabulary better than I know so I want to teach them what they can’t learn in school.

My greatest challenges and obstacles while living in the USA is definitely English! Still, learning and speaking English is challenge to me all the time and every day. Whenever I am struggling with English I always think that there is no end of studying English. Unlike other my Korean friends in USA, what I most miss in Korea is not food but it is SUBWAYS! In Seoul, you can travel end of Seoul to another end of Seoul by riding subways and cost less than 2 dollar in one and a half hour (Seoul is small city but I mean the subways are fast!!). My least missing about Korea is parking spaces and traffic jams. Americans would be impossible to park in Seoul. If you are planning to drive in Seoul with your car I recommend do valeting without trying, remembering just do the valet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment