Monday, October 5, 2015

French Culture

     Going to another country always brings along many challenges of adapting to the different culture. I have always believed that adjusting to the new cultures is easiest if you keep an open mind and jump on every opportunity that is offered. Since I have visited France in the past, I have an idea of the culture that I am going to be living in next semester. 

     I know that there are many stereotypes that we, as Americans, have for the people in France. I also know that many of these stereotypes are ridiculous and false. There are a lot of cultural stereotypes that people in France associate with US Americans. We’re known to be loud, big, assertive, and extremely patriotic. I know that while I am in France, I will amaze people with how different I am from these particular stereotypes. Being 5’2”, I would not consider myself to be a big and intimidating person. I am also a notoriously quiet person and no matter how hard I try I cannot yell. My “yell” would be anyone else’s normal talking volume. I am not the most assertive or aggressive person either. So, by just being myself, I should be able to break some stereotypes that the French generalize all Americans with.


     Immersing myself in the French culture will really help me to adapt quickly and truly appreciate the new cultural environment. Keeping an open mind to new experiences that may present themselves is important for me, or anyone, to make the most of my time in France. I am very excited to meet new people who are also studying abroad from different countries and I cannot wait learn about these different cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment