Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Adventures of Unhinged Anthologies

The ability to travel is something that not many are given. Just the chance to have the ability to roam free--at least somewhat--within a country is something that many Americans don't have a chance to do. The students at Maryville college get an exciting chance to stretch out our wings and fly through these new sites with unobtainable excitement and glee. I, as a student going abroad, was given this chance to go to an exciting place that continues to grow with fervor and heat every moment a stick is added. No matter the amused chuckles that I get from people when I tell them that I am going Abroad to Canada, It is a Country rich in culture and a heritage with an important past that excites me to learn more about. While there is the option to go to Toronto (one of which is already given to the International students by the School) is there, but there is somewhere else that I would rather go.

Because of my Thesis, I wish to go visit residential schools and witness first hand the hardships that the aboriginal peoples of Canada went through. One that I am interested in going to is Mohawk Institute Residential School in Brantford Canada. They have a Museum that contains rich information and a good source of information and help for where I could use survey's or interviews for furthering my knowledge on the school systems themselves, what students know about what happened, and the overall feel of the Canadian outlook on what happened.

I would first need to pick a day to go, I would want to try and take a day trip to get as much information about it as possible. Transportation isn't an issue, because I will be traveling to Canada with my Car up to St. Catherines. I will need to make sure that I have gas, but that shouldn't be all that bad (the gas rate last time I checked is rather close but just a tiny bit higher, than here especially since we have gone down). The drive to Brantford is only around an hour and a simple drive mostly along a highway. 

The day would be spent at the Museum, contacting curators, talking with students, walking around and making sure I get the most out of the situation as I can. The price of living is a bit higher in canada, but I can still get food anywhere from 5-15$ for a single meal. While I am there I would hope to make connections and possibly find a possibility to volunteer for them for further insight on information that would make my growth as a student more beneficial.

There are many places that I want to go, possibly flitting through other provinces with the kind words and help from some of my other friends; I hear that Sarnia has a wonderful night life and a beautiful look right on Detroit! Maybe that is where I will be going next. 

1 comment:

  1. I was hoping for more of a weekend trip somewhere rather than a day-trip. And I don't know anyone who says Sarnia has a wonderful nightlife ;p

    I want to see a travel plan...hotel/hostel/couchsurf, places to visit, research...

    ReplyDelete