Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Leben wie ein Einheimischer

Leben wie ein Einheimischer
or at least thats what google translate said...

Oh one day closer... closer to the end of my senior year, closer to comps, closer to the day I wave goodbye to the US, closer to student teaching in Germany, and closer to being in a country where I absolutely do not belong!

I should be excited about all these events coming up, and trust me, leaving for Germany is what is getting me through!  I am so stoked about student teaching abroad, but I am totallllllly scared too.

Guess thats why I should start really thinking of how I am going to be living when I am there...

Everyone always jokes around saying "ahhhh you'll fit in! you have blonde hair and blue eyes" ha ha, cool. so does half of the American population!
I am becoming a little more confident though...
Recently Taylor King introduced me, via technology, to her past roommate in Argentina.  She did this because her roommate was from Dortmund! and even better she has a twin!  I have been in touch with her and its nice to know I already have someone so willing to help me around in the city!  So weekend and nighttime activities shouldn't be too hard to find with my new German friends, who have more new German friends!

It is the on campus involvement I am kind of uneasy about!  I will be taking one course on campus, a language course for German, this here will get me in touch with some students (especially study abroad students).  However, this is the only time (besides any abroad activity I need to be at) I will be on campus...  If time allows, and my schedule sees fit, I am really interested in participating in intramural sports or any kind of active clubs! The majority of my time I will be alone... going to and from student teaching.  While this cuts back on my campus involvement, I will make great connections throughout the community!

Soooooo "living like a local"? Say what?!
To live like a local, means... live like the locals do!  Get involved in daily activities they participate in, eat the food they eat everyday,  see the places they see!  This is very important to do while studying abroad because we are not tourist and we should not act like it (all the time).  The point in studying abroad is to be immersed in the culture and learn new things; feel out of place for a little then begin to fit in.  My goal is to experience all I can of Germany and my city Dortmund.  While I hope to travel and explore, my main focus is becoming comfortable where I live. 

Becoming comfortable: this is huge for me!  I will be spending the majority of my time out in the community, so it is very important for me to know where and how I am getting from place to place... since I will not just be visiting campus.  This will take time but eventually it will become my daily routine.  To student teaching..... maybe class on campus.... back to my room to work on lesson plans and reflections..... sleep.... wake up.... start it all again.  Weekends look like my best time to get out and explore!

My experience in unique... I am student teaching in another country!  Although its terrifying, I believe I will learn so much about their culture and education system.  This is information I can bring back with me and utilize as a teacher, what works and what doesn't!  It is another perspective, not just an American style.  


·

No comments:

Post a Comment