Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Building Bridges in Germany

Oct. 15, 2014
Danielle Taylor
Blog #4

What does it mean to be part of a community?  You have to be involved, engaged, and sometimes even be willing to step out of your comfort zone to put yourself out there.  When studying abroad, the task to become part of the social scene at the university you’re attending can be even more daunting--but without it, time in the new country can be utterly unbearable.


One of the biggest parts of German culture is relationships with others.  One of the main ways I intend to get involved in the culture is by joining a club at my university, probably with a focus on history, international relations, or literature.  I feel like a love of language is going to be one of the most basic ways that I can make friends and really become part of the community on campus.


I also love cities, so I want to spend a lot of time in the city, probably at bars, student events, and especially libraries and historical societies.  Because I’m a history major, I want to absorb the culture of Giessen, the history, and the people.  I want to take it all in stride and learn everything I can, and the best place for that is where I can bury myself in books and records of the city.

When I study abroad, I want to build relationships not only with the other international students and locals, but also with Giessen and Germany itself.  I want to be able to say I know more about myself, about other people, and about the country I’m going to be spending four months in next year because it’s going to be such an important part of my life.  Despite my anxiety when it comes to going out of my way to talk to people, I feel like I can push myself to build these bridges when I’m abroad, and have fun during the construction process.

No comments:

Post a Comment