Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Oh what to do while in Germany?!

Oh what to do while I am in Germany?!
On the weekends when I am not bogged down in lesson plans and activities, I hope to see not only the big touristy places, but also the places where the locals go.  The local trips would be saved for more "one-day" kind of things, and the weekends would be where I could travel further out!

I want to visit Amsterdam.
Why Amsterdam?  There is so much history in Amsterdam and it is considered one of the "greatest small cities in the world" so why not!

I would leave on a Friday, hitting an afternoon train and stay through Sunday afternoon before heading back by train.  

A few options for where to stay:
  • Bicycle Hotel Amsterdam 
  • A-Train Hotel Amsterdam
  • Hotel des Arts Amsterdam
The Bicycle Hotel; what does it have to offer?
  • about 50 dollars a night
  • bicycle rental for about 6 dollars a day
  • great location
  • simple and cheap
A-train Hotel; what does it have to offer?
  • right beside the train station, so easy location
  • more pricy because of location
  • downside-paying for transportation
Hotel des Arts; what does it have to offer?
  • Awesome location for the museum goers
  • pricy for the location 
  • you can walk to the local museums
What do I plan to do there?
Saturday- Museum day!
  • Rijksmuseum (15 euros)
  • Van Gogh Museum (15 euros)
  • Both of these museums are located in Amsterdam's Museum Quarter
Sunday- Before I go I gotta see...
  • Anne Frank House (9 euros)
In between these big places to visit, I want to visit a local coffee shop or cafè, and figure out where to eat (for cheap) next!

How do I plan to get around in Amsterdam?
Options- Walking (free), rent a bicycle (about 8 euros), bus (about 7 euros a day), maybe one day a canal boat (16 euros)






1 comment:

  1. Great - shows your style and type of activity! How much does a train cost to get there? What is your overall budget? How do you get from the train station to the hotel and how does that factor in?

    ReplyDelete