Wednesday, October 15, 2014

"Tackling" my shyness


     The biggest challenge I will have while studying abroad is, no doubt, reaching out to make friends. Meeting new people is one of my favorite things but as a shy extrovert, getting further than small talk with anyone rarely happens. This semester I really hope to break out of my shell and push myself to try to make friends. Going off of this, it's probably not best to outline my strong dislike for participating in on campus activities. So, this spring my plan is to join the local rugby in Edinburgh to better integrate myself with the locals.
   Rugby is wildly popular in Scotland, and the university that I will be attending has multiple clubs. Though women's rugby union isn't quite as popular, the massive following and participation of this sport almost guarantees that I'll be able to find a club to join. If all else fails, I'll be right there supporting my university’s men's union team.

     My next plans much more natural. Because public transportation is used much more widely where I'll be staying, I'll be taking a lot of buses and trains to travel. This spring I will also be torn away from my smart phone, and finally I love talking to strangers. Growing up, I loved hearing stories from my dad about the time he backpacked across Australia and met my mom. Most all of them started with someone he met on a train to Sydney or on the bus to Uluru or while hanging out in some local hole in the wall pub. While I'm not planning on spending my time in sketchy bars around Edinburgh, I am going to seriously put an effort into initiating conversation with people all around me. We unfortunately live in world fixated on the technology glued to our hands, so this spring I will be putting the Iphone away to make the most of every train ride or bus stop.  


No comments:

Post a Comment