Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Blog Post 2- Same Joni, New Country

With change comes adaptation.  No one necessarily looks forward to change and it often depends on how good you are at change and accepting something new.  Not everyone has the perfect personality and opinion, but everyone is unique.  For some of us it may be harder to adjust our opinions and ideas if we need to, while others embrace the change and modification.  

Personally, I like to think I embrace change and new things, but I know that parts of me are stubborn as well.  Depending, I find myself more adaptable in some circumstances.  I noticed after completing several self-assessments that there are specific parts of who I am and my personality that will make my traveling abroad experience easier and some that may make it more difficult.

What I believe some of my strengths are that will benefit me abroad:
  • A solid overall understanding of the differences in universal, cultural, and personal ideas
  • I focus on relations with others rather than my success all the time
  • I am a very easy-going person who is comfortable with meeting new people and sharing with them
  • I work well with groups; in-tune with others feelings and backgrounds
  • I feel I have a good sense of priority in my life
  • Openness to new things: food and sharing
  • Looking out for myself, even if it is uncomfortable for me
  • Mostly flexible, put concern where it is necessary
What I believe some of my weaknesses are that will hopefully not hinder me abroad:
  • Larger groups of people are not my favorite environment
  • Dependency on others, especially for guidance 
  • Uncomfortable traveling alone (first time alone to another country)
  • Missing my family and friends
  • While I am open and flexible with some things, I prefer to be given details






Repsect for different perspectives and opinions!



While abroad, not only do I want to be immersed in the German culture, but I also want stay true to my roots.  I want to be a great example of the American culture but not an obnoxious one.  I hope that while I express who I am and my culture, that some will grow to accept and appreciate it just like I plan to do with the German individual.  I hope to share my background and interesting things about me, but also about my "people" in general.  




No comments:

Post a Comment