Monday, October 27, 2014

What is Black and White and Fluffy?

While I am in China I know that I will be incredibly busy with school work. However, at the same time I know it will be good for me to take a break or two and have a weekend for myself. In that time there is one place that I really want to visit. That is the Chengdu Panda Breeding and Research Center. The center's main focus is pandas, but it also has created environments to help foster over 20 other rare species. I've always had a love of pandas, and even named my car after the main character of Kung Fu Panda, so naturally it would make sense for me to want to visit this center.

There are little obstacles to getting to this location in China. The city that the center is located in is called Chengdu and is located in the Sichuan province. I can take a train from Nanchang to Chengdu that will take approximately 19 hours and 20 minutes that will only cost me $33.50. Once arriving in the city of Chengdu I can get a taxi for $5 that can take me to my temporary living arrangements. I have always wanted to spend time in a hostel, and this would be my perfect opportunity to do so. The hostel that I found that I think would eb the best experience is called the Chengdu Free Guys Youth Hostel. With excellent reviews on the staff and location as well as cleanliness and common areas for fellow international travelers, this hostel looks like it would be the best option for me. Pair that with the inexpensive cost of $10 for two nights in the mixed dormitory room, and that is a deal that I could not pass up.

Once arriving at the center ticket prices are just short of $10. Followed by a meal that my hostel suggests of a spicy Szechuan meal. That kind of meal can be found through tripadvisor and it looks like my best bet might be through Chenmapo DouFu where I can get a solid meal for anywhere between $10-$15.

All I would need now is about another $34 to return to my school in Nanchang and my weekend adventure would be over. For only around $120 I could have a really great weekend crossing the country of China. Other items to note on this trip is that for only about $4 I can pay my hostel a commission to take care of my tickets to and from Chengdu which would be a fairly inexpensive amount considering how much help this could be. All I have to say now is PANDAS HERE I COME!!

No comments:

Post a Comment