Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Livin’ la vida local...


 5 months is a long time. During this time in Pamplona I hope to experience both the life of an average student at UPN and as a person in the city.

As far as school goes I have a few main goals. It is my hope to get involved with and befriend other international students to have a sense of comradery in our shared experience in a new place. I however, do not want to limit myself to this social circle.  I hope that through my classes or at the popular study spots I may find friendship in some of the local students who will have great insight into the things that make up an authentic UPN experience. Part of this will be figuring out the school system, class structures, acceptable behaviors and other things of that manner. Having friends that know the ropes will make this a lot easier.

I am excited for the student experience that I will have, but I am intrigued by the experience that I will have as I take in a city that is completely foreign.  There is a possibility that I will be living in an apartment in the city. I really hope that this happens as it is completely different from all that I know at MC and  I think that it will be a good way to help me branch out. This will give me the opportunity to walk, bike, and use public transportation as well which is a great way to get in touch with local culture. I want to shop at local markets, attempt to follow local recipes (though I’ll likely end up messing them up!), and dine at the mom and pop gems that are sure to be found with just a bit of research. Food will be interesting for me as a student from the US just because eating times and frequencies differ so much but following the local norm will in my opinion greatly add to my experience.  On the topic of norms, one thing that I am excited and unsure about is the concept of the siesta. I don’t think that this will really set in until I experience it firsthand.


One of my greatest hopes for this semester is exploring. Hopefully the friends that I make will have this goal too. I want to explore city streets, see artwork and listen to music that the locals do. I want to see the nightlife and if it lives up to the huge name that it has. As apprehensive as I am, I want to go to a bull fight because I know that it holds a great deal of cultural value to the people of Spain. I also feel like I have to attend at least one futbol match while in Spain as well. I think that by doing all of these things with an open mind, I will truly get at least a grasp for the life of a local in Pamplona. 

No comments:

Post a Comment