Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Expectations for an Extended Experience Elswhere

    Although it isn't my very first long-term experience abroad, I can hardly call my self a seasoned veteran of travel. Furthermore, there's only so much that a person can prepare for when making a departure of this magnitude. So the question remains: what innate strengths and weaknesses do I possess that will affect my ability to cope when I inevitably encounter unfamiliar and unexpected circumstances while I'm abroad?

    Based off of the cultural-context inventory and self-audit we filled out, our in-class discussion, and my own personal experience, there are several traits that I believe will be useful.

  1. I tend to go with the flow when events unfold differently than intended.
  2. I'm fairly self-sufficient, and don't typically require interaction with others.
  3. I'm open minded about nearly everything.
  4. I'm not afraid to ask for assistance, directions, etc.
    There are also some traits that have the potential to hinder me, often merely negative counterparts to the previously mentioned positive attributes.
  1. According to people that have known me for any length of time, I'm quite disorganized.
  2. My self-sufficiency often has the effect of isolating me from others.
  3. I'm not very talented at navigation, especially somewhere I've never been before.
  4. I'm a hardcore procrastinator.
    One of my favorite parts of meeting people from other countries is the process of discovering all the innumerable peculiarities that make our cultures different. I like to think of it as a kind of trade of experience, and it's something I do pretty naturally. I'd really like to try to present those from other countries with a positive view of those from the United States through showing them some of the more positive values we adhere to.
  1. I can show them that we work hard, and always get the job done.
  2. I'll exhibit that we care about the impact our decisions have on the rest of the world
  3. I will make it clear that we are extremely diverse, and perhaps dispel generalizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment