Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Keep Calm and Travel On


When I think about these questions on how to be involved on campus, how to make local friends, and living like a local I really look back to freshman year at Maryville. I am sure going to Valparaiso will be different than just going to a different city in Tennessee, but I did not know anyone on campus so I believe that experience will help me in Chile. When I arrived at Maryville I knew the only way to meet people was to join an organization, so I decided to become a member of LSA. I think the best way to get involved on campus and in the community is to join an organization. One because you will be with a group of people who share the same values and like similar things. Two you might meet some local friends who will be awesome guides and make your transition a lot easier.

Living like a local to me means really immersing yourself in that culture. I want to be able to step into a native Chileans shoes, and walk a day in their life. By doing research I have learned about Chilean life, like how they shop at local markets instead of going to Wal-Mart and how they actually sit down and eat breakfast instead of just grabbing a granola bar and running out the door. Simple things we overlook really make a difference. When I went to Mexico in December I never realized how much I depended on my cell phone, so my goal when I go to Chile is to ask people, not siri, for help. I also want to  learn how to use public transportation, and when I go out to eat I will ask the locals for opinions, rather than checking yelp.

I still think my everyday life will be similar to life at MC, but in a more relaxed approach. I keep reminding myself I will not be on vacation for 4 months; I will be a college student so I will have homework. The biggest difference I believe will be how I spend my time. Usually my free time is only on weekends, but I plan on taking about 13 hours while I am abroad so I can squeeze in more time for going on adventures. In my mind I picture waking up to a great breakfast, even though I am not much of a breakfast person, walking to campus, going to class, and than on the weekends going to a different city or country.

While in Chile, I hope I can really step outside the perspective of an outsider. I want to be able to say I had a great experience in travelling and in gaining knowledge in another culture. My approach on getting involved will get me respect by the natives because I want them to know I am interested in learning about Chilean culture, and I am not only there to go to school. I think this experience will really help me in my career because when doing business with foreign countries one must understand the standards, culture, and values of that country. Hopefully my opportunity to go abroad will provide me the knowledge to be a better businesswoman.

No comments:

Post a Comment